You are here
Financial Well-being Education
Oklahoma Public Employees Retirement System
OPERS manages the public pension system for state employees and wants to ensure all members achieve a secure and lasting retirement. They provide educational seminars for employees throughout the state. Below is a snapshot of their offerings. For a complete list and descriptions, visit their member education page at www.opers.ok.gov/confidence.
- For those within two years of retirement eligibility.
- Schedule is available at www.opers.ok.gov/pre-retirement-seminar-schedule.
- Call OPERS at 405-858-6737 or toll-free 800-733-9008 to register.
Principles of Financial Planning and Retirement Planning
- A full-day class provided through OMES Training & Development.
- Please go through your nominating official to sign up.
- Both are on-demand two-hour training classes.
- Requirement of 35 in attendance.
- Contact OPERS to schedule.
Empower is contracted with the Oklahoma Public Employees Retirement System to recordkeep the SoonerSave and Pathfinder retirement plans and provide education about these plans to State of Oklahoma employees. These one-hour presentations offered by Empower are:
- Basics of OPERS pension plan.
- Basics of SoonerSave:
- How it works with OPERS to help fill in the retirement income gaps.
- The difference between the 457 and 401(a) plans.
- Contribution amounts and changes.
- Investment options and asset allocation.
- Website navigation.
- The highlights of your plan.
- Why you should save for your retirement.
- How much you might want to save.
- Strategies for investing.
- The investment options available to you through Pathfinder.
- Distribution options at retirement/end of employment.
- Website navigation.
To schedule a training presentation, contact Marc Pierce at 405-315-0558 or email email@example.com.
Oklahoma’s Credit Union
OKCU, formerly Oklahoma Employees Credit Union, opened its first location in the Oklahoma Department of Transportation Headquarters in Oklahoma City in 1954. They have since added locations in the Kerr/Edmondson Building in Tulsa and inside the Northeast Oklahoma Correctional Center in Vinita. Currently, OKCU offers branch access at over 91 locations across Oklahoma and over 5,000 locations nationwide. OKCU offers specialized financial education and will travel statewide to your office. Below is a list of the one-hour training modules, including descriptions.
- You will learn how to defend yourself against identity theft by spotting common scams and protecting your digital information.
All About Credit Scores
- You will learn that having a good credit score is essential to so many things in your everyday life. This workshop provides key information about building or improving your credit score.
- You will learn tips and tricks of the car buying experience. They will answer questions about knowing if you’re getting a good deal as well as if you should take a rebate or 0 percent interest.
Lighten the Load
- You will learn the common sense methods to reduce and eliminate debt. You will learn helpful tips in reaching your debt reduction goals.
Investing and Retirement 101
- Have you ever wondered where to invest money for retirement or what the best funds in your 401k are? Have specific investment questions? OKCU’s certified financial advisor will teach you the basics of retirement planning, saving and investing to get you on the path to a great retirement.
Online Financial Management Training
This list of online training and education resources are for those who are not able to attend in-person training. These offer a variety of financial education trainings from different resources, at no cost to you.
OK Money Matters – Self-Paced Learning Modules http://www.oklahomamoneymatters.org/About/Services.shtml
- You will learn how to make your money matter in every stage of life. From buying a car or house to getting married and having kids, the modules give you the tools you need to make informed financial decisions.
Selections of online modules:
- Love & Money: protecting your financial future no matter your relationship status.
- Money Management for College Students: making your money work for you while living the college life.
- Budgeting: getting the most out of your money by creating a realistic spending plan.
- Auto Loans: learning to look beyond the monthly payment to get the best car for your needs.
- Transition to Independence: learning to successfully navigate your financial life after college.
- Saving and Banking: exploring how to plan for your future and build wealth.
EDX – Courses
Connect learners to the best universities and institutions from around the world. EDX was founded by Harvard University and MIT in 2012. It offers online courses from top institutions to anyone who wants to learn and advance their careers. Most courses are approximately six weeks and ask you to commit up to 3-6 hours a week. Many courses are at no cost unless you want a certificate (which costs $49.00). Other courses have a minimal charge.
- “Personal Finance”
- (For complete course description and objectives, select link below.)
Missouri State University
Personal Finance – Available only in the iTunes U app on iPhone or iPad.
- Time Value of Money.
- Personal Financial.
(For complete course description and objectives, select link below.)